“Healthy” Carrot Cake – by Kat Wise
One of your 5 a day!
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 225g/8oz butter
- 225g/8oz soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g/8oz carrot grated
- 115g/4oz sultanas
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour (wholemeal)
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the topping:
- 250g cream cheese
- 250g butter
- 625g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Finely grate the lemon and orange. Put half of the rind in a bowl and mix with the caster sugar. Arrange the sugar-coated rind on a sheet of greaseproof paper and leave in a warm place to dry thoroughly.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually, then beat well. Stir in the unsugared rinds, the grated carrots and the juice of the orange and the sultanas.
- Gradually fold in the flour and baking powder, and divide out into paper cases on a bun tray.
- Bake for 22-25mins until golden and just firm.
- To make the topping, place the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Spoon/pipe onto cupcake as desired and top with sugared rinds.